Friday, June 12, 2009

Keeping Summer Simple


One of the best things I've ever done is learn how to simplify my life. I'm by no means all the way there yet, but I've come a long way. I'm determined to make sure this summer is full of simple joys. One day this week I sat outside with the baby, blowing bubbles and looking at leaves. If we have time, we go for walks in the morning before her nap so we can enjoy the fresh summer air before things get too hot & muggy out. Its so incredibly beautiful outside in the mornings where I live.
One summer a few years ago, I managed to catch a caterpillar in the backyard. He was very tiny, perhaps an inch long, if that. I put a leaf in my hand, and observed him while he munched away at it. It was so quiet that I could hear his tiny mandibles chewing on the leaf, a little tiny crunch crunch. It took at least 45 minutes for him to eat the leaf in my hand, and I fascinated myself wondering what was going on in that little head of his.

Tonight my husband and I had a wonderful date. We sat in the driveway for about an hour and watched a thunderstorm roll in. I kept asking God to show His power by making the lightning bigger and better, and making the thunder louder. God obliged, and I was grateful for the amazing lightning show He put on just for me. Many of the lightning strikes were worthy of applause as they streaked across the sky in an awesome show. It was better than any movie you could see, and lots cheaper. Just some iced tea, my husband and I, and the Creator of the Universe showing off His creativity and power.
I'm looking forward to more simple days this summer. Tomorrow, we're taking two of our water dogs out to my brother-in-law's lake for a swim. There are lots of naps to be had, and dozens of books to be read.




No comments: