Sunday, December 6, 2009

C is for Cookie...

It's that time of year, when our thoughts turn to the birth of Christ, our spirits reflect the joy of the season, and stomachs, naturally, begin to rumble for cookies. My sister is a patient person for whom cookie decorating is a time for reflection. A time for art and creativity. My sister can pump out cookies by the hundreds, who look like snowmen, light bulbs, gingerbread men, and ever so much more. My mom enjoys this also. Their cookies turn out something like these little beauties.... Ah, yeh oh yeh, Jesus would be proud.

I, however, am a person who was born with patience for children, but not so much for food. I do not like to cook or bake, and believe that if you're going to have a cookie, as long as its got some frosting slapped on the general direction of its top, then that is good enough for me. It doesn't have to resemble a shepherd boy or a Santa. The Blob is good enough for me, as long as he's a nice sugary Blob.
Enter my happiness and joy when hubby purchased these lovelywonderful boxes yesterday:
Yes, oh yes! Pre-made and pre-decorated cookies! This is right up my alley. My great-grandma , for whom cookie making was a time-honored craft, would SO.Not.Approve. Where's the love? Where's the attention to detail? Let me tell ya. Here's all I had to do.
Step 1: Take the little circles of dough out of the box. See how cute the little reindeer are?
For variety, we also had Frosty the Snowmen. Hey, we don't want to be boring.

Step 2. Quality Control Check. (See the 3 bites missing?) SOMEBODY had to check to make sure these things were edible, right?


Step 3. Throw those little babies on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Step 4. Eat as soon as they come out of the oven.

Optional Step 5: Make chocolate frosting to dip the cookies in (this was a last-minute decision I made around midnight, so there is no picture.)
So. While cookie artists everywhere are slaving away piping cute little eyelashes and bows on the individual curls of gingerbread girls, I have already downed at least 3 Frosty the Snowmen cookies, cleaned up my mess, and gone to bed...with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head. Funny, they usually resemble..the Blob.
Be afraid, Martha Stewart....be very afraid.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

rofl!!! thats my kind of baking too

they look awesome and delicious. we'll be right over
:)

irini

Michelle's Day said...

that's my kind of baking, too!!!! too bad i have celiac disease (can't eat wheat) and can't eat most ready-made yummies. but when my kids want cookies or when it's time to take cookies to school, those are the EXACT ones i'm getting!

Anonymous said...

Hee!!! Love it!!! Let's do THAT this year instead. ;-D