Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Being a Blessing

Every day when I wake up in the morning, I take a few minutes to talk to God. Since I have started doing this in the past few months, it has made my day go so much better. Just taking time right away to get the day started right. Thank God for a good night's sleep, for protecting me; for a safe, quiet house to wake up in; for a new day and a new start. Things like that.

I also ask God to help me be a blessing to people in some way. Some days I forget to say this and I've found that my days always go better when I do remember. God always helps me find someone. It always helps to get my mind of myself and look for other people who need help somehow. I'm not going to give a list of the things I do for people because God doesn't want us to brag about the things we do. God likes people to do things in secret. Its also more fun that way. I love to leave surprises for people whether it might be paying for something for them or sending them something in the mail or doing a service for them. Some days it might just be a smile or a compliment. Today God helped me find several people to be a blessing to and I'm really hoping I made their day better. Sometimes people are utterly confused. "Why are you doing this?" Some people have looked at me like I have a 3rd eyeball growing out of my forehead "Why would you want to do THAT?" a nurse asked me when I offered to pay a stranger's doctor bill. "You don't even know her." I just usually tell people "God wants you to be blessed today." But usually if I'm doing a good enough job, no one finds out who it was in the 1st place that left them a blessing. I just want to be nice to people.

Tomorrow I will post a story about a great blessing I received last December. Its a good story, so be sure to come and read it.

How can you be a blessing to someone today?

3 comments:

Brandi Reynolds said...

you are a blessing to me :-)

you know, I have let people's reactions stop me from being kind or going the extra mile when I feel called to. Being authentic and doing my soul's work is an on going journey and I'm getting better at it. Thanks for the inspiration! :-)

thailandchani said...

This is a very sound principle in all religions. Doing things simply because they are good and wholesome is the only "reward" needed. Looking for a payoff will usually disappoint. It's much better "when the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing."

I like the fundamental message of this.

~*

Anonymous said...

I love this. Wake up, chat with God, get on with the day.

That's beautiful.