Monday, May 11, 2009

Procrastination

So today I finally bought a bag of cotton balls at Target. Cotton balls I have needed for a while, for various needs. Since I have needed cotton balls and haven't had them, I've been crumpling up toilet paper into little balls, using folded up paper towels, and griping about my lack of cotton balls while they were easily available at Target for $1.59. It's just that every time I went to the store, I forgot, or told myself I'd get them next time.
So yah...go on....ASK ME how long I've needed cotton balls but have procrastinated about getting any.
Go on. I dare you...ask. "So how long have you been cottonball-less, you lazy, procrastinating bum? A month? Three months? SIX MONTHS?"
Oh no. Think higher. Think lazier. Think more procrastinate-y.
(If you're a procrastinator, you're probably about to feel a lot better about yourself.)
Okay... so you think I maybe have been too lazy to buy cotton balls for an entire nine months? Try....
.
.
.
Twelve years.
Yes. I did say that. Twelve years.
That's a dang long time to need cotton balls and not have them. Especially when they are right around the corner and it only takes 6 minutes to get to Target, 4 minutes to get to Walmart, and under 3 minutes to get to Walgreens.
So why take so long?
Ah....the mind is a mystery, isn't it folks?

Do you ever wonder if God is procrastinating? Doesn't the Bible say several times that Jesus is coming SOON? "In a little while" and "In a short while" and then "In a very little while". YAH--- um...that was written 2000 years ago. So obviously time is relative to God. When you've got eternity to mess with, I guess 2000 years is a drop in the bucket. There are days when I lift my eyes to the sky and say "Can you please make it TODAY, Jesus? Like, right now?" [usually said when I am about to write out another bill, or pass a gas station that has just raised the price of its product yet again.]
But the good news is, God is NOT procrastinating. He is never late, although sometimes He waits til the last minute.
Read 2 Peter 3:9
The Lord does not delay and is not tardy or slow about what He promises, according to some people’s conception of slowness, but He is long-suffering (extraordinarily patient) toward you, not desiring that any should perish, but that all should turn to repentance.
He's not being slow, not procrastinating. He's WAITING. On us. He's sitting their in Heaven being patient, because He wants as many people as possible to choose His Son, and turn to Him and let them love on them, so that more people can come to Heaven. Jesus isn't sitting at the right hand of God being lazy, He's still up there directing our steps and making sure the world he helped create keeps on spinning. They're calling more and more people to come to heaven. Then in God's perfect timing, which only He knows, He will come. That makes me feel a lot better.

Maybe Jesus could pick me up a new watch battery on the way... I've been putting that off for 3 weeks.

No comments: