So, I think I'm developing a little philosophy over here in my little space of the world. Spending hours and hours alone with a baby, seeing the world through her eyes, and lots and lots of time alone with God, gives me plenty of time to think. Here's a list I'm coming up with: HOW TO BE TRULY HAPPY
*Note: This is not a complete list....and I will probably keep adding to it.
- Ask Jesus into your heart. Everything good comes down to being a believer, obeying God, & having faith in His promises. How to do that:click here.
- Don't let your happiness depend on your circumstances. If my happiness depended on what was going on around me, I'd be miserable all the time. FIND things to be happy about: flowers. butterflies.the color yellow. heaven. knowing God loves you. baby smiles.
- Simplify your life. A great book to learn how to do this: 100 Ways to Simplify Your Life by Joyce Meyer. If you haven't read it, put it on your list. Do 1 thing at a time. Live in the moment. Spend time with your family. Turn the tv off and read a book.
- Accept that people will let you down and hurt you sometimes. Hurting people hurt people. It's hard...but its part of life. Put your faith & trust in God. He will never, ever let you down.
- Look for the positives every day. Most clouds really DO have a silver lining-- but you have to look for them.
- On that note, HANG AROUND POSITIVE PEOPLE.
- Learn where you stand. Read The Search for Significance by Robert McGee.
- Start each day on a good note-wake up and say good morning to someone. Be thankful you have a soft, warm bed to sleep in and food in your pantry for breakfast. Instead of thinking of "all I have to do today," think about who you can go be a blessing to today. Ask God to help you today. Your strength comes from Him.
- Take your mind off yourself, and put it on other people. Who can you be a blessing to today? Everyone can do something. If nothing else, you can smile at someone or offer a hug. Sometimes, all people need is acknowledgement.
- Learn to like yourself. You're going to be with you all the time, wherever you go. Might as well make friends with yourself.
- Forgive people, forgive yourself. You, and others, probably did the best you knew how at the time. When you learn better, you do better. Let go, and move on (yep, this is tough, but ask God to help you do it-its possible.Okay, really really HARD.but possible.)
- Give money to homeless people and tell them God still loves them.
- Take care of yourself. Sleep some, play some, work some, laugh some, think some, and then... play some more.
- Have an attitude of grattitude. Whining is boring, but being thankful is an attitude that God appreciates. If you've got air in your lungs, food on your table, and a roof over your head, you've got a lot going for you-- tell God thank you.
- Put God first. Seek 1st the kingdom of heaven, and God will give you the rest of the things you need.
- Treat people well. The more you do for others, the happier you will be. Even more fun, do good deeds in secret, and don't tell anyone else what you did. Be stealthfully good. Its really fun to know you are the one doing random acts of kindness, and no one can figure out who it is...but YOU know.
- Give kids with lemonade stands $5 for their 10 cent cup of lemonade.