Monday, July 20, 2009

I am learning to have peace

Psalm 62:1-8
1 My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him.

My soul rests...it is quiet. I don't argue with God. I quiet the voices in my head. I seek His face. I bow my head in prayer, I don't try to reason with God. I listen. My soul is open and receptive to what He has to say.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

I have learned that the ONLY ONE who can truly help me is God. You can't rely on "best friends", relatives, counselors, horoscopes, New Age gurus, television stars, or anyone else to save you. You can't even rely on yourself. The only one who cantruly help me is God, and God alone.
3 How long will you assault a man?
Would all of you throw him down—
this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 They fully intend to topple him
from his lofty place;
they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
but in their hearts they curse.
Selah

How long will people put me down, disappoint me, let me down, talk about me behind my back, hurt me, say mean things, or other things? Probably as long as I live. Jesus said "In this world you will have trouble." Not maybe. Will.

5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.

My hope is not in things, places, or people. My hope is in God. My hope is my confident expectation that God is Who He says He is, that God can do what He says He can do, that I am who God says I am.

6 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

God is faithful. Those who hope in Him will never be disappointed or put to shame.

7 My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.
Selah

God is not like man that He should lie. God will not let me down. God is like a rock... He never changes. I can trust him right now, every step of the way. Every moment. God does not live in the past-- He is not the great I Was. God does not live in the future--He is not the great I Will Be. He is here with me, now. He is the Great I Am. I can pour out my heart to Him- my tears, my hopes and dreams, my disappointments, my pains, my laughter, because God is always listening and always here with me. He is my Strong Tower, always holding me up.
In that, I have peace.
Pause, and think about that.

1 comment:

Beth Morey said...

He is awesome, isn't He?