Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The night before Christmas Eve

As I write this, my niece and nephew are sleeping just a few feet away. They were anxious to get to sleep tonight, because they knew that "the faster we go to sleep tonight, the faster tomorrow gets here, and the fast Santa comes tomorrow night." Christmas being only a day away gives grown ups just a little bargaining power, I think. I helped my niece fall asleep to visions of fairies and sleeping bunnies and kittens in her lap tonight. But tomorrow night my plan is to read them the Christmas story from the Gospel of Luke, and instead of just visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads like most children will tomorrow night, and thoughts of opening toy after toy, I hope to have them envisioning a special star, a special baby, and the real reason we have Christmas in the first place.

I love to watch these 2 children sleep. It brings such peace to my soul. And especially at this time of year I wonder, what did Mary think about when she watched her infant Jesus sleep? The Bible says that she pondered the wonder of all that had happened in her heart when he was born. But what exactly goes thru a young mother's mind when she carries the Savior of the world in her arms? Did she realize that someday he would face such pain? Did she realize that the little boy who slept so soundly would someday free the souls of millions? Did she wonder if he would be hard to raise, given that he was GOD?
What would you have thought, if you had held the Savior in your arms that Christmas night?




No comments: